- Binding 38 x 2 1/2 inches
- Elastic 2 x 3 inch pieces of 1/2 inch wide
- Iron the Pellon to the wrong side of the lining fabric.
- Start Quilting the layers together...I have started in the centre and then worked rows of stitching 1/2 inch either side continuing till there are 11 rows and you have about 3/4 inch at each edge.
- Take your side and fold in half wrong sides together. and press then fold in half again across and YES PIN IT - then using your cup draw and cut the curve into your bag. Remember you are cutting the non folded end. If you are doing a few bags you may want to make yourself a little template. Repeat this step to your other side.
- Then take both sides to the sewing machine and sew a row of top stitching close to the fold then another approximately 1 inch from the fold, this will be your elastic casing. Thread your elastic pining at the edges
- Making the handles comes and button loop is next - take each piece and with wrong sides together sew each one into a tube. Then with the aid of a pin turn the tubes right side out and topstitch each edge.
- To make your button hole loop, once you have completed the above tube and topstitching, fold it half and press, then open and join like in the picture then press the poin flat.....hope you can understand that.
- Now pin the handles to both side and the loop to one side only on to the bag like so....
- OK this is the big sigh part, I LOVE BINDING, on a quilted bound project it's like tucking your baby into bed........ take your 38 x 2 1/2 inch strip and iron in half making your binding. I also like to iron one end in by 1/2 inch like so.
- Starting along one of the sides, start sewing your binding about 1 inch from the end, sewing raw edges together, work your way around mitering at the corners....see photo details on mitering it is just one of those things I can't put into words. tuck your end into your begining as per photo too.
- then sit back with some tv on and ladder stitch the binging around your raw seam...this is the bit I love!!!
- Stitch a button while you have your needle and thread ...and your done...another gift crossed off the list...
or if you wish to purchase one I have made - check out these little beauties...
|Sorry, not for sale - decided this one is my christmas gift to me :)|
|Momm's Apron Strings by RJR Fabrics - with Stitching things lining and black white dot ends...$18 + postage|
|Love this colour combo, Red, Brown Pink floral with Teal Polka Dot lining and Ends $18 + postage|